Friday, September 26, 2014

Mesothelioma Awareness Day


And Now For A Little Something Different:

Today is Mesothelioma Awareness Day. I was contacted by a fellow blogger who is a Mesothelioma survivor and asked to spread the word about this deadly disease. Since I also have another friend who is a Mesothelioma survivor, I agreed.

In looking for a few background facts to share, I was astounded to find that the ban on asbestos-containing products was overturned just a few years after it was put in effect. Asbestos exposure is the only known cause of mesothelioma, a cancer of the lung lining.

I was also amazed that it can lay dormant for 20-50 years after a person’s first exposure, and that family and friends can be exposed to it second-hand. I am not an expert on this, so I will refer you to http://www.mesothelioma.com/  for further info; you can also read Heather’s story there (pictured above, with Lily).

And here are some interesting facts about asbestos and mesothelioma:

"Asbestos can be found in many homes, schools, commercial and industrial buildings.

China, Russia and Canada use asbestos in consumer products.

Mesothelioma is most commonly diagnosed between the ages of 50 and 70.

Many women received second-hand exposure from parents or spouses who worked closely with asbestos."

Info taken from MAD Asbestos Facts, courtesy www.mesothelioma.com.


No comments: